Rule 7 Questions from 1992 to 2007
The questions and answers shown below are from SCHSL exams from the last 16 years. It is possible that there may be typos and/or an incorrect answer or two. If you should detect any problems, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com . Clicking on the "+" sign will reveal the correct answer.
1. B1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but B1, who is off balance steps off the court. B1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. Ruling: Legal.
1. True - Section 1 Article 1 (Case Book 7.1.1 sit: b) - 2004
2. As A1 is holding the ball near the sideline next to the bench area the coach grabs A1's arm to get his attention. Ruling: A1 is out of bounds.
2. False - Section 1 Article 1 (Case Book 7.1.1 sit: a) - 2003
3. A1, holding the ball inbounds near the sideline, touches Bl, who is out-of- bounds. Ruling: Al is considered out-of-bounds.
3. False - Section 1 Article 1 (Case Book 7.1.1 sit: a) - 1995,6
4. A2 has a designated spot throw-in from under her basket. A2's throw hits the side edge of the backboard and rebounds to A4. RULING: Throw-in violation on A2.
4. False - Section 1 Article 2 - 2006
5. The ball is out of bounds if it rolls on the top edge of a rectangular backboard.
5. False - Section 1 Article 2 - 2006
6. A1's three-point shot hits the rim, bounces into the air and then rolls along the top of the backboard before entering the basket. RULING: A1 is considered to have caused the ball to go out of bounds.
6. False - Section 1 Article 2 - 2007
7. A1 is holding a live ball inbounds near the sideline. B1 tries to steal the ball from A1 and, in doing so goes out-of-bounds. While still out-of- bounds, B1 reaches back and slaps the ball out of Al's hands. Ruling: B1 has caused the ball to be out-of-bounds. A's ball for a throw-in.
7. True - Section 1 Article 2a - 1995
8. The ball passes over the top edge of the backboard on a throw-in from behind the basket of a rectangular backboard. Ruling: Violation.
8. True - Section 1 Article 2d Note - 1992
9. If the ball touches the backboard support on a throw-in, the alternating possession determines the next throw-in.
9. False - Section 1c - 1996
10. A1 has the ball for a designated spot throw-in and is standing 3-feet behind the end line. After A1 releases the ball, B3 reaches across the boundary line plane and bats the ball into A1 's feet. Ruling: Violation by A1.
10. True - Section 2 Article 2 (Case Book 7.2.2) - 2001
11. A throw-in by A1 strikes B1 who is inbounds and rebounds in flight directly from B1 and then strikes A1 who is still out-of-bounds. Ruling: A1 caused the ball to go out-of-bounds and it is awarded to Team B at that spot for a throw-in.
11. True - Section 2 Article 2 (Case Book 7.2.2 Play a) - 2005
12. The ball is out of bounds when it touches an official who is out of bounds.
12. True - Section 2 Article 2 - 2007
13. If A2 and B2 simultaneously bat the jump ball out of bounds, jumpers A1 and B1 shall re-jump at the center circle.
13. False - Section 3 Article 2 - 2007
14. The ball remains live when the second free throw for a flagrant personal foul is unsuccessful.
14. False - Section 5 Article 11 - 1996
15. The throw-in spot following a flagrant foul is always nearest spot of the foul.
15. False - Section 5 Article 11 - 1996
16. A1 is awarded two free throws and makes the first one. A2 violates on A1's second attempt and B is awarded the ball for a throw-in. Ruling: B will have the run of the end line because of A's successful free throw.
16. False - Section 5 Article 7 - 1996
17. Following a timeout, both teams are at the sideline with respective coaches after all signals have been given prior to a throw-in by Team A. Team A or Team B requests a timeout after the official places the ball on the floor at the throw-in spot. Ruling: Either team may be granted a timeout.
17. False - Section 5 Article 1a thru c (Case Book 7.5.1) - 2004
18. If the resumption-of-play procedure has resulted in a throw-in violation for delay by Team A, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
18. True - Section 5 Article 1b - 2006
19. Team B players are seated on their bench during a full time-out receiving instructions from their coach. The second horn sounds indicating that the time-out is over. The official sounds the whistle and hands the ball to Team A for a throw-in. Team B realizes the ball is live and all five players rush onto the court to play defense. RULING: Technical foul on Team B for delaying returning to the court.
19. False - Section 5 Article 1 & Rule 10.1.9 - 2006
20. It is an alternating possession throw-in following a double free throw violation.
20. True - Section 5 Article 2 & Rule 9.1 pen 3 - 1996
21. Team A scores a basket. A1 is confused and inbounds the ball to A2 who scores a field goal. Official cancels the basket by A2, puts consumed time on the clock and awards the ball to Team B
21. True - Section 5 Article 2 (Case Book 7.5.2 sit:b) - 2002
22. A1 calls a 60-second timeout in the backcourt. After the timeout is over, the offtcial erroneously awards Team B the ball for a sideline throw-in. B1 completes the throw-into B2 before the official realizes the mistake. Ruling: This is a correctable error situation.
22. False - Section 5 Article 2 (Case Book 7.5.2 sit:b) & Rule - 2002
23. If A2 violates during A1's free-throw attempt, B's throw-in will be from anywhere along the end line.
23. False - Section 5 Article 2a - 2007
24. B1 is charged with an intentional foul on A1 who was in the act shooting a successful 3-point goal. Ruling: Two free throws and the ball of-bounds spot nearest the foul.
24. True - Section 5 Article 4 - 1996
25. An official sounds the whistle accidentally while A1's successful try is in flight.Ruling: The ball is put in play by the team entitled to the throw-in using the alternating possession procedure.
25. False - Section 5 Article 4 (Case Book 7.5.4 play d) - 2003
26. Bonus free throws are no longer awarded for team-control fouls.
26. True - Section 5 Article 5 - 2005
27. A1 ends the dribble and passes the ball to A2. While the ball is in the air, A1 charges into B2. Ruling: The foul on A1 is a team-control foul. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred.
27. True - Section 5 Article 5 - 2005
28. A1's attempted three-point shot from above the top of the key is successful. After A1 returns to the floor, B2 commits a foul on A1 by "backing him out" and knocking him to the floor. Team A is not in the bonus. RULING: Officials count the 3-point basket, and award Team A a designated spot throw-in underneath Team A's basket.
28. False - Section 5 Article 5 - 2006
29. After a player control foul any player of the offended team shall make the throw-in from the designated out of bound spot nearest the free throw line extended in all cases.
29. False - Section 5 Article 5 - 1997
30. A1 commits an airborne shooter player control foul after releasing the ball on a try. The ball then goes through the basket. Ruling: No goal can be scored on a player control foul.
30. True - Section 5 Article 5 & Rule 4.19.6 (Case Book 4.19.6) - 1994
31. Following a goal, A1 is running the end line when B1 reaches through the plane in an attempt to prevent the throw-in. Ruling: Team B is warned for the violation and Team A retains the privilege to run the endline.
31. True - Section 5 Article 7 - 1996,2002
32. After A1's made basket, B1 attempts a throw-in from the end line and the ball is intentionally kicked by A2. RULING: The subsequent throw-in will be a designated spot throw-in.
32. False - Section 5 Article 7 - 2006
33. B1 goal tends on airborne shooter A1's try. A1 fouls B1 in returning to the floor. Ruling: Since no free throws result from the player-control foul, B's throw-in is from a designated spot nearest the foul.
33. False - Section 5 Article 7 (Case Book 7.5.7 sit :a) - 2001,05
34. If B1 commits a throw-in plane violation, A's privilege of making a throw-in from anywhere along the end line following a goal remains following the team warning.
34. True - Section 5 Article 7 (Case Book 7.5.7 sit:b -play a) - 1996
35. Team B has scored a field goal and A1 has the ball along the endline for a throw-in. Team A is not in the bonus. Prior to the ball being thrown in-bounds by A1, B1 fouls A2 at the division line. Ruling: Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the end line following the foul reporting.
35. False - Section 5 Article 7 (Case Book 7.5.7 Sit:c - play c) - 2001
36. Following a goal, A1 is running the end line when B1 reaches through the plane in an attempt to prevent the throw-in. Ruling: Team B is warned for the violation and Team A is awarded a spot throw-in.
36. False - Section 5 Article 7 (Case Book 7.6.3 sit: c) - 2001
37. A1 has the run of the end line. Al bounce passes the ball to out-of-bounds A2, who grabs it and makes a pass inbounds all within four seconds. Ruling: Legal.
37. True - Section 5 Article 7 Last Sentence - 1992
38. Following a score by Team B, A1's throw-in pass is deflected by B1 out of bounds over the end line near A1. Ruling: Official awards the ball back to Team A and rules Team A may run the end line
38. False - Section 5 Article 7 & Rule 4.41.5 - 2003
39. A1 drives to the basket and scores. While B1 is attempting to inbound the ball, A2 is called for holding B2 near the end line. Team B then requests and is granted a timeout. Ruling: Team B retains the right to run the end line following the timeout.
39. True - Section 5 Article 7 - 2005
40. Following free-throws for a technical foul, the throw-in is from the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.
40. False - Section 5 Article 8 - 2003
41. Following free-throws for a technical foul, the throw-in is from the division line table side
41. False - Section 5 Article 8 - 2002
42. The throw-in spot following an intentional foul shall be at the division line opposite the table.
42. False - Section 5 Article 8 & 10 - 2002
43. The throw-in spot following a flagrant foul is the division line opposite the table.
43. False - Section 5 Article 8 & 10 - 1996,01
44. The penalty for a double personal foul is to give each player two free throws.
44. False - Section 5 Article 9 - 1995
45. In a double foul situation, each foul carries its own penalty.
45. False - Section 5 Article 9 - 1997
46. A1 is attempting the second throw of a one-and-one when A2 and B2 commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time while the free throw is in flight. Both teams are in the bonus and Team A has the possession arrow. Ruling: Double Personal foul situation. No free throws are awarded.
46. True - Section 5 Article 9 - 2001
47. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. The try is successful. While A1 's free throw attempt is in flight A2 fouls B1. Ruling: False Double Foul.
47. True - Section 5 Article 9 - 2001
48. Prior to the game a technical foul is charged to Team A. While the ball is at the disposal of B1 for the first attempt, a double personal foul is called. Following the free throws for the technical foul the game resumes play with a jump ball with the two involved players. Ruling: The official is correct
48. False - Section 5 Article 9 - 2001,02
49. If simultaneous fouls occur at two different locations on the floor, the spot for the throw-in is, determined by the foul of the team not entitled to the alternating possession throw-in.
49. False - Section 5 Article 9 - 2001,03
50. In all double fouls no free throws are awarded.
50. True - Section 5 Article 9 & Article 10 - 1997,01
51. A1 and Bl are charged with double personal fouls. Immediately before the official reports the double personal, Al and B1 begin fighting. Ruling: Al and B1 are disqualified. No free throws for the double personal, but two free throws for each team followed by an alternating possession throw-in.
51. False - Section 5 Article 9 & Article 10 - 1995
52. B1 has the ball out of bounds after Team A has scored a field goal. Prior to completing the throw-in, A2 and B2 commit a double personal foul near mid-court. Possession arrow favors Team B. Ruling: Award the ball back to Team B on the end line and Team B may run the end line.
52. True - Section 5 Article 9 - 2001,03
53. B1 fouls A1 near the division line. At approximately the same time, A2 fouls B2 in the lane near Team A's basket.The alternating-possession arrow is pointed toward Team A. Ruling: This is a simultaneous personal foul. B1 and A2 are charged with personal. fouls. The ball shall be put in play with an alternating-possesson throw-in on the sideline nearest B1's foul.
53. False - Section 5 Article 9 - 2002
54. A1 and B1 are called for a double personal foul for rough play. After the whistle blows, the two taunt each other and are called for a double technical foul. Ruling: No free throws are attempted, each player is charged with two fouls, and the ball is put in play using the a.p. arrow.
54. False - Section 5 Article 9 (Case Book 4.19.8 sit:b) - 1996
55. It is a violation if thrower A1 passes the ball so it is touched by A2 on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in plane. A2 is inbounds.
55. True - Section 6 Article 1 & Rule 9.2.2 (Case Book 9.2.2 sit: - 1992
56. Following a violation, the throw-in spot has been determined and the official has waited a reasonable amount of time for Team A to provide a thrower. The official places the ball on the spot and begins the 5-second count. Ruling: Correct procedure.
56. True - Section 6 Article 1 - 1995
57. Al makes a throw-in from out-of-bounds at the division line. The ball is deflected by A2 and goes through A's basket. Ruling: Team A scores two points.
57. True - Section 6 Article 1 (Case Book 7.4d) - 1996
58. After a goal the ball is lying on the floor on or near the end line but no Team A player makes an effort to pick it up. Ruling: Begin the throw-in count, as the ball is available.
58. True - Section 6 Article 1 1st sentence - 1996
59. The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
59. True - Section 6 Article 2 - 2003
60. The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been touched on a throw-in pass.
60. False - Section 6 Article 2 - 2005
61. The thrower may reach the ball through the throw-in plane prior to releasing it on a throw-in
61. True - Section 6 Article 2 (Case Book 7.6.3b ) - 1992
62. It is legal for the thrower to penetrate the plane provided he does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass.
62. True - Section 6 Article 2 (Case Book 7.6.3b ) - 1994
63. During a throw-in by Al, A1 may hand the ball directly to A2 who is inbounds.
63. False - Section 6 Article 2 (Case Book 7.6.3 sit: b - play c) - 1995
64. B1 is called for an intentional foul on A1 who was in the act of shooting a successful 3-point try. Ruling: A1 is awarded two free throws and Team A gets the ball for a throw-in.
64. True - Section 5 Article 10 - 1994
65. After an intentional personal foul, the throw-in after the free throws will always be at the division line opposite the table.
65. False - Section 5 Article 10 - 1994
66. Thrower A1 holds the ball through the end plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. Ruling: Held ball.
66. True - Section 6 Article 3 (Case Book 7.6.3 f) - 1995
67. A1 is attempting a throw-in along the end line. He sticks the ball through the end line boundary plane where B1 grabs the ball and both players securely hold on. Ruling: Held ball-alternating possession will determine whose ball it is.
67. True - Section 6 Article 3 (Case Book 7.6.3 f) - 1992
68. During an alternating possession throw-in, A1 holds the ball through the end line plane and B1 grabs it, resulting in a held ball: Ruling: A's ball for alternating possession throw-in.
68. True - Section 6 Article 3 (Case Book 7.6.3 f) last sentence - 1994
69. Prior to a throw-in on the end line near A's basket, A1, A2, and A3 line up shoulder to shoulder parallel to the end line and 5 feet from the end line. Ruling: Illegal - B must be given an opportunity to position between each player.
69. False - Section 6 Article 4 - 1996
70. Team A scores a field goal. B1 has the ball along the end line for a throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass; the ball is kicked by A2 near the end line. Ruling: Team B has a designated spot throw-in.
70. False - Section 5 Article 7 - 2001
To download a copy of these questions and answers to your computer, click here.